Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dish Soap

I have to wash dishes multiple times a day most of the time, especially when I'm cooking and because this girl does not own a dishwasher.  As I get older and accrue more kitchen equipment, the more I wish I had one at least to help ease the burden.  Washing a food processor bowl, lid and attachments can only be summed up with one word: annoying.  After we hosted our Second Thanksgiving last year, I was washing dishes for the entire weekend.

That being said, I have used a lot of dish soaps in my time.  I used to have absolutely no preference and bought whatever was on sale.  This is no longer the case.  I know what is worth its value and what is not.

Below is an example of a good dishwashing soap under/around $3.50.  Listen, let's be honest.  I care enough about our beloved Mother Earth to not litter, not eat meat every day, to recycle and to turn off my power strips when I go on vacation and to make other similar steps to lessen my carbon footprint (I don't own a car! I take three modes of public transportation to get to work!), but as far as buying all natural everything from toilet paper to food and going above and beyond?  Not financially possible and not my primary concern.  That being said, Seventh Generation's dishwashing soap is excellent and not that expensive.

Here is an example of a TERRIBLE one under/around $5.00+ in the same all natural vein.  I picked this up at Target a few months ago because I liked the scent, and it is absolutely terrible.  You needed to douse your sponge over and over to clean a sink full of dishes.  Get the hell out of here, J.R. Watkins!
And a trusty, cost efficient and reliable (and America's #1) brand?  Dawn.  They use it to clean baby birds!  How can you go wrong?


1 comment:

  1. Dawn forever. I have very strong opinions about dish soap.

    ReplyDelete