Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Thanksgiving, Part Three

A few weeks ago I held a Thanksgiving dinner party with the theme of "redemption" to make up for an epic fail (overcooked turkey) in 2011.   I didn't necessarily fail this time around, but it did not live up to 2010.  I've never made a more beautiful, moist bird in my life, and I will only be failing every time I try to recreate that.

Also, this dinner party was so traumatic on a whole new level that I wonder if I can ever do this again to be honest.  And the worst part?  I loved everything leading up to it - the invites (tinyprint.com does amazing invites, by the way), the RSVP's that a portion of the invitees failed to send back... despite the fact they were fucking STAMPED, the decorations, the anxiety, the food, everything.

I did the standard fare (turkey, potatoes, stuffing) and friends did a great job at the potlock part (salmon, slaw, veggies, cheese, dip, etc.), but I'm particular proud of the pomegranate cranberry sauce.  It is a mash-up of this recipe and another cranberry pomegranate relish.  I didn't use any herbs like year - just red wine, sugar, frozen cranberries, pomegranate syrup and pomegranate seeds.

The first Thanksgiving party I held I seeded two or three pomegranates and then juiced x amount of seeds by blending it and straining it by hand.  I don't do that anymore.  Once is enough.  I bought those seeds prepackaged, and I'm not sorry about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment