Friday, April 1, 2011

Cookbooks - WHY MUST YOU TEMPT ME SO?

So I hit up one of my local Borders after work, coupon in hand, hoping to peruse a Chicago travel book, as I am planning a summer vacation there, but like many other Borders, the store was closing!  It was a rundown madhouse!  Had I known this store in particular was closing, I would have hit it up much earlier.  You know what happens with "EVERYTHING MUST GO" sales?

People like bargains, and so do I.  50%-70% off?  CONSIDER ME SOLD!  Don't you know how much reading costs?!

I know, I know - another cookbook?  I can't help myself.   I would also be lying if I said I thumbed through more than four pages of this $10 discounted book before snatching it up.  Keywords:  food, blog, cookbook. Done.  And I totally judge a book by its cover - and it was so clean and crisp!  And GREEN!


UPDATE:  THUMBED THROUGH SOME MORE PAGES, NOT THAT IMPRESSED : |

I also picked up A Tiger in the Kitchen by Cheryl Lu-Lien.  The one line summary reads as follows: a book about the author's quest to recreate the dishes of her native Singapore during one Lunar Calendar year, as a way to connect food and family with her sense of home.

One of the things I dread the most when I think about losing my parents, other than the obvious, is the losing the sense of Korean culture I have through food.  Who is going to make me kkakdugi?  How will I be able to go home and know that a pot miyeok guk is sitting on the stove?

1 comment:

  1. Hi there -- so glad you picked up the book and hope you enjoy it! (I have a chapter on Korean food in there, too -- and a recipe for mandoo!) I urge you to ask your family for their recipes while you can, though. Your family's recipes tell the story of your personal history. Once they disappear, your family history does, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete