Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Kitchen Organization

We have a decent sized kitchen for a city apartment and really good appliances, but incredibly limited pantry and counter space.  Adam and I have installed four of these Ikea shelves in the past four years we've lived in our apartment, first starting out with two:

Not sure how I even managed the first year without any of them.  They hold jars full of different kinds of flours, sugars, rice and other goodies.  My teeny coffee maker sits on the shelf, next to a stack of takeout menus, even though we typically only ever order from one pizza place and one Chinese food place, a fancy bar set I gifted to Adam when he was really into being an at-home-bartender, a blender, two coffee grinders (one is for spices only, thank you), so on and so forth.


Do you ever do a spice inventory?  I do one every few months.  I used the back of my friends' wedding invitation (sorry, guys) to write down the name of every single spice, including some assorted condiments, and their expiration dates (still can't part with all of the expired ones, even though I should), and then I mounted it on the inside of the cabinet.  Getting spices out drives me absolutely crazy sometimes, and I've definitely experienced the double stacked glass spice bottles crashing to the counter and/or floor.  Did you know turmeric stains?  Because it does.


It's time for Saveur's 2011 Best Food Blog awards, and I came across one of the most beautiful photos:


Not only are her spices deliciously organized, her white Le Creuset utensil crock only holds wooden utensils!  I love it.  While this is not exactly how I want to organize my spices (I like this even more), it makes me want to cry out of joy because it looks beautiful.  There is still the stacking issue, but who cares when it's so pretty.  It also makes me want to cry when I think about what my cabinet looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment