Saturday, May 28, 2011

Buffalo Wings

I don't think I ever had Buffalo wings, at least not any memorable ones, until Adam suggested we go to Tido's in New Brunswick when we first started dating.  Maybe that's kind of weird, being in your early 20's, having gone to college and not having eaten Buffalo wings?  Should I preface it with the fact that I hated getting my hands messy when I ate?  The rules have changed since because sometimes you can't help it, but I still only eat popcorn with two fingers at a time.  Those people who stick their whole hand in the bag/tub?  That ain't me.

Adam got me a deep fryer one Christmas, and it's gotten pretty limited use since - mainly because of space in our kitchen and bad air circulation.  Our entire apartment smells like a grease trap for DAYS.  He suggested we make Buffalo wings earlier this week and onion rings, so I agreed.


That was the first test batch.  We made just over two pounds of wings, and I didn't count them, but it might have been about 20, and they were absolutely amazing.  I googled a bunch of Buffalo wings recipes and ended up just melting equal parts butter and mixing it with Frank's Hot Sauce and a few hits of Tabasco.  We deep fried the wings for about 10 minutes per batch and then just tossed in the sauce mixture and ate away.

I used this Crispy Onion Rings recipe from Food and Wine, and they came out alright.  I let the batter, which called for cold club soda, sit for a bit longer than they suggested, since I was preoccupied with the wings, and maybe that's why they ended up looking nothing like those fluffy crispy creations on the website.  Also, the baking powder expired very recently - and we all know that shit is SCIENCE.  Once baking soda and baking powder expire, call it a day.

They tasted good, but were severely lacking in the texture. I never have club soda in the fridge, and when I went grocery shopping the other day, I picked up a bottle and Adam asked what it was for.  I told him I thought there was a cocktail I wanted to make, but could not remember.  I realized my subconscious was thinking  about this scallion pancake recipe that I saw earlier this week.  The batter is very similar to the onion rings.

Back to the Buffalo wings for a second?  Really, delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Well I am excited about this post because I am a wing fanatic! Yours look awesome.

    I like basic buffalo sauce the best, but another kind I love is Hot 'n Honey, a sauce we made when I worked at the greatest wing shop ever. You add honey and garlic (to taste) to buffalo sauce and it is SO SO SO delicious. Spicy/sweet/garlicky/tangy.

    On onion rings: put THYME in the flour mixture. Simple, but crazy crazy good.

    ReplyDelete