If there is one thing I can make pretty well, it's soup. It is most definitely a soup. No recipes, no frills, no bells, no whistles. I can get it DONE. One of my old co-workers was telling a dinner party soup gone wrong, and I kept thinking to myself, "HOW?!"
I picked up a gigantic head of yellow cauliflower two weeks ago (eep) and decided that it needed to be used immediately. There is a 12 pound turkey defrosting in the fridge, and Adam and I have to eat almost everything in our freezer before Thanksgiving Part Two in December. How the fuck else are we going to fit a 20+ pound turkey? WHY DO WE ALREADY HAVE A TURKEY IN THERE?
Don't get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving, but really? We are going to brine this one though - so that will be exciting. AND! I will be able to make stock in advance from this.
Anyway, back to soup. I grabbed The Flavor Bible to see what flavor combinations worked and ended up roasting the cauliflower with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and olive oil for 20 minutes. I sauteed half an onion, a handful of scallions and garlic chunks. I added the cauliflower after the onions had softened and poured in vegetable stock. I let it come to a boil, let it simmer for a while, and then pureed 3/4 of it in the glorious Cuisinart, after contemplating using the immersion blender. Listen, I don't have a dishwasher, and these are a LOT of dishes for a Monday night soup.
I seasoned the soup with more salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and some squeezes of lemon.
DELISH.
Served with a side of panko baked chicken. Baked, breaded chicken is never as good as fried chicken, regardless of how good it still tastes.
----
This is what it looks like the day after. I can't get the coloring right, but it's a buttery, golden yellow.
Monday, November 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment