Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bon Appetempt, Bon Appetit, Bon Etc.

Do you know how many food blogs exist?  A LOT.  It's pretty insane.

I just came across Bon Appétempt though.  I love that her first blog entry was a failed attempt at a Bon Appetit four-layer chocolate cake.  For those of you who do not typically follow recipes, do not subscribe to multiple foodie magazines, and generally do not care about what the food looks like as long as it tastes good, will not understand what it's like when a Bon Appetit recipe fails in its final stages.  She still had the balls to put it online, and it says a lot about her and the blog itself. 

It does remind me that I need a cake pedestal and dome, similar to this one from Williams-Sonoma.  Maybe people will stop asking when Adam and I are going to get married when, instead of holiday cards, I start mailing out mock-registry-stock photos of cake pedestals and everything Le Creuset makes in kiwi.   

Anyway, at some point in recent past, I was receiving ALL of the following (somewhat) food-related magazines at one time:  Bon Appetit, Saveur, Real Simple, Everyday Food, and Martha Stewart Living.  With the exception of Saveur, they were all free, but Real Simple became less about home and food and Martha Stewart was for people who had expensive hobbies, big backyards/gardens and a penchant for interior design.  Everyday Food was fine, but more often than not, kind of boring and uninspiring.  

However, around Christmas, they sent me one of those "please reconsider your subscription with us, we will give you two years for TEN DOLLARS" and I caved.  Apparently I do not need to be inspired to cook, I just need a good deal.

Saveur, I am waiting for your version of the desperate "please don't leave me" notices before I make my final decision on whether or not to renew.  Let me know.  I will be waiting.

1 comment:

  1. hey! thanks for the mention!! Just came across this post. And I really like your spoon rest. ;)

    ReplyDelete